Thursday, October 2, 2008

Moments and Insights

I went to a very special event this past weekend. The first annual Earth Warriors Festival. I have been to a few pagan gatherings in the past. This one blew the others away!

The talent and presenters included Dragon Ritual Drummers, Wendy Rule and two friends M.R. Sellers and Dorothy Morrison. There many others, but I have to say these were the cream of the crop. I am partial though, I love Murv and Dorothy!

The first night was for presenters and staff and a few very lucky vendors. We all sat around the fire and talked and drank and talked some more. I have got say pagans are some very funny and insightful people. The stories told there were the seeds of jokes and pranks all weekend for those "in the know".

The second day vendors opened shops and workshops ensued. The traffic was a little slow early in the day but people were working and traveling. The staffers who were not busy and some of the talent too, would wander by and sit for a while to visit with the vendors. It was a relaxing day.

That night was something else though. There was a huge DRD concert. This is the first time I have danced around the fire with other women to the driving beats of a drums only group. It was a powerful and bonding experience for all who chose to dance. I was amazed at myself for getting up to dance, one of maybe 12 in front of a group of maybe 100. I am glad I did though!

After the concert, there was a drum circle offered elsewhere in the camp. I did not get to go to that as I was shanghied by pirates. Yes, pirates they vend pirate gear at these events. They are kind to their captives providing much singing and booze. Bless their black and wicked hearts, I think they killed my liver. It was a very fun way to go though.

Day three there were far more people. I did alot more business as a vendor. This is a good thing. I did not however get to join in any of the workshops or rituals. I am told the rits were amazing and moving. I did not mind this so much as I had near constant company at the vend tent. A very dear friend that I had lost touch with was in fact attending. We spent much of our time together catching up and reconnecting.

That night was the Wendy Rule concert. I am told she was wonderful. It really wasn't my kind of music so I kept the tent open and made quite a bit of money. Not only that but I also had the opportunity to have a healing session with my now sister. Later, her hubby gave me a knot breaking muscle aching back rub to die for. So I think I did well to skip the concert.

We spent the rest of the night that night, the last night, frolicking. Well, talking and drinking and drumming and dancing. A few of us chose to walk the labrynth that the fire spinners set up earlier in the day. That was a very calming experience.

The next morning was the tear it down and pack it up day. There were many tearful or nearly so goodbyes with friends old and new. My sister and I cemented our connection with a very simple ritual involving chocolate and a kiss. One of our dear friends left not to go home but to head off to his son's to meet his new grandaughter born Saturday. I think it speaks volumes that he chose to spend that extra day with us rather than hop the first flight out.

This was an amazing and awesome weekend. I know I have never felt the sense of community that I felt there. I mean it wasn't perfect, but it was close. I had these incredible moments with people, little flashes of insight into not only them but myself. I spent the weekend away from the world being the wise and intuitive creature that I am, but can not always be in the mundane world.

Everyone involved says that next year will be bigger and better. It might be bigger, but it will never get any better for me than this one. These were the first Earth Warriors and I was one of them. I was deeply honored to be there, to be a part of something that felt almost sacred from beginning to end.

LOve and Light, Stand and Fight

No comments: