Thursday, July 26, 2007

My Ghost Jar

I have a jar I keep. It is filled with little white pebbles. On each of the pebbles is a symbol, a name and a date of death. This is my ghost jar. The jar isn’t what is special, of course neither are the pebbles.

When someone close to me dies, I find a little pebble and mark it with a symbol that reminds me of them. I add their name and the date they left this plane. I carry that little stone with me while I am hurting. When the pain and loss weigh me down, I carry it in that little stone. After a while, the stone weighs more than the pain. That is when I place the pebble in the jar, with all the others I have lost.

When I have a situation that seems overwhelming that my dad might have been able to deal with better than I, I take out his stone and carry it with me. It serves as a reminder that he taught me well. It reminds me that he showed me how to deal with this moment. It serves to remind me of the wisdom that he imparted to me.

Of course the magick isn’t in the stone. It is in me. It is part of who I am thanks to knowing and loving the person the pebble represents.

Just one more example of as above so below, as within so without. I carry these stones in my pocket as a reminder that I carry these memories and lessons of my departed in my heart.

2 comments:

Indeterminacy said...

I'm sitting here, mouth agape at the beauty, poetry and wisdom of the idea.

Rev. Kimberly Rich said...

You are too kind Inde. That is a good definition of shamanism though, simple beauty, poetry and wisdom. I will add that to my definition as I explain it in the future.