Monday, July 30, 2007

Things that matter

Did you know that I crochet? Most people do not. I love to stitch my little knots and turn a ball of yarn into something useful. It makes me feel like I am building something in a world that revels in tearing down and burning up.

Did you know that knot magick is one of the oldest forms of magick? I do. I made myself a shawl over the weekend. It is long and warm and a deep dark navy blue. As I turned the stitches tying my little knots, I thought of comfort and security. I thought of peace and well-being. I also thought of my Reiki training that will be starting soon.

This shawl is now more than clothing, but a tool to use. In it I put all the right energies to help me with my studies during a really intensive training process.

Imagine what would happen if all the folks out there who crafted gifts for other put real intent into those gifts as they made them. A baby blanket “programmed” to help a child sleep. A wrap to help someone process life saving drugs more effectively. A book bag to help the student study better. A pillow case to help a loved one with insomnia fall to sleep.

It would be amazing the changes we would see. Thought is energy you know, and matter is made of energy, add a little thought to the matter and you get a gift that stands apart, something that serves a real purpose.

2 comments:

Indeterminacy said...

My grandmother did crochet when she was alive - and her blankets were very much sought after. But she would never sell them for what they were worth in time - she said no one could pay that much, so she just charged for the yarn. She was a person at peace, despite a life with some very horrible events, including living in Nazi Germany, while married to a Jewish husband. I have one of her blankets - she put some of her serenity in it - that's what it is.

Rev. Kimberly Rich said...

I know I loved my grandmother's afghans. I think everyone needs something warm to wrap up in they are feeling unspecial. In fact that's something I need to talk to you about. *cackles*